We are currently looking for a Trainee Cycle Mechanic to support our current mechanics and work in our York workshop. We offer a fascinating and rewarding working environment in our growing community interest company.
Get Cycling CIC
Get Cycling CIC is a not-for-profit community interest company. We promote cycling for everyone: for leisure, transport, health, happiness and the environment.
We have a bike shop based in Fulford, York, providing services, repairs, sales and hire, to locals and visitors, as well as a national assessment and retail service providing new and refurbished cycles for our customers with disabilities throughout the UK.
We have a wide, diverse and unique range of adapted and inclusive cycles for individuals, families, and anybody needing our expertise in inclusive cycling. We have a highly skilled team of mechanics, who also offer mobile bike health check-ups, customer site fleet management services, and cycle skills and maintenance training.
With over 15 years of cycling promotion experience and 14 staff, Get Cycling has encouraged thousands of children, adults and families to take up cycling, and help keep thousands more on their bikes.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Workshop is a very busy and crucial part of the organisation, responsible for overseeing all builds, services and repairs of cycles coming into our York Shop and through our Disability & National Retail department. The Trainee Cycle Mechanic will assist to produce high quality work and the role will include:
- Gaining a basic knowledge of a retail business within specialist cycling
- Understanding the function of a social enterprise and values of non-profits
- Work shadowing each staff member to understand different roles within and organisation and how to work as part of a team
- Carrying out a basic M-check of a bike and book in for repair and services
- Clean cycles ready for repair
- Assisting with services and repairs on a wide range of cycles to a high standard
- Repairing and maintaining fleet bikes at customer sites
- Building boxed bikes intended for sale and fit accessories to cycles
- Researching supplier costs and information as directed
- Managing stock areas and orders
- Completing pre-delivery inspections
- Answering the phone and taking enquiries as required
- Ringing customers to arrange collections and deliveries and follow up enquiries
- Using the EPOS and card payment systems
- Keeping customer records and database up to date
- Packaging cycles for delivery, organising post, parcels, and couriers
- Loading and unloading vehicles and trailers in an organised and safe manner
- Monitoring team calendar and upcoming activities
- Keeping workshop and communal areas safe, tidy and in order
- Being aware of health and safety obligations and identifying any issues
- Helping keep general expenses and costs to a minimum
- Recycling and/or reusing materials wherever appropriate
- Researching and checking product information on our website
- Assisting with sourcing images and content for social media and website
- Attending the necessary in-house, online or external training courses required
- Following company policies and procedures
- Supporting the Shop & Workshop Manager in their activities.
Skills & Experience
Qualifications in Maths and English and a strong interest in cycling is essential. Knowledge of mechanics is not required, but an understanding of social inclusion values would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will have:
- A responsible and reliable attitude with good time management skills
- Manual dexterity, attention to detail and accuracy
- A positive, supportive attitude and teamwork skills
- Eagerness to learn and work under supervision
- Enthusiasm and motivation
- Clear communication skills
- Good computer and EPOS skills
- Full clean driving licence preferred but not essential
This is a new trainee position right at the heart of an exceptional and innovative social enterprise operating across a wide range of activity areas.
If we continue to grow and business allows, there is the possibility of permanent employment as an apprentice mechanic and working towards a Cytech qualification, or to move into other areas of the organisation.
Part of the Government funded Kickstart Scheme (age 18-24)
- Start ASAP
- Fixed term position: 6 months
- Part-time position: 25 hours per week
- Hourly rate: national minimum wage
- 28 days holiday allowance, including public holidays pro-rata
- 3-month probationary period
- Monday to Friday with occasional evenings and weekends
- Five days over seven with monthly weekend work
- Normal hours 10:00am to 3:30pm with half an hour for lunch
- Limited flexi hours option between 8:00am and 5:30pm
- Office based in Fulford, York
- Family friendly and pet friendly workplace
- Statutory employer contribution to NEST pension scheme
- Generous staff discounts on cycles, parts and repairs
All offers of employment are conditional on two recent employment or character references.